
Just to be clear, my grandmother did not travel to the ends of the Earth to save small children from starvation. She did not help to orchestrate a movement that would bring equal rights to women, nor did she win the Nobel Peace Prize. She did not read the Bible to me daily and quote Proverbs to me when I was in need of council. No, my grandmother did not do any of those things, but I can assure you that she was the world to me. She loved me unconditionally and taught me to give that love in return. She scolded me when I was wrong and taught me to do my best as a result. She passed away six years ago last week just before her birthday. I had the privilege of hearing about her salvation story and watching her develop into a personal relationship with Jesus once I was an adult. It was a beautiful gift to be given.
It was always a special little "treat" that my grandma's birthday is also my half birthday. Half birthdays are nothing really, until the are met with such a coincidence. So I always smile when I think of how the Lord gave me that sweet half birthday treat and of course tear up knowing that I cannot call her any longer. There is hardly an exciting or disappointing moment that goes by that I do not think to pick up the phone and ring her.
There is another reason that I will be able to smile on this day and it is one that may just take away a few of those tears in years to come. You see today I was visiting with my now "big" 6 year old daughter. Claire was visiting with me in the bathroom, eating her Rice Chex and about to touch a hot iron. I warned her that it was not safe. She asked if she would die if she touched it. She has asked that a lot about dangerous situations recently. I looked at her concerned about such a response and explained that it would likely just burn her hand. Then it came, one of those questions that you beg the Lord to answer for you, "what happens when you die mom?"
I had been given an opportunity to share with my sweet child what I knew to be true when I was to die. I told her of the promise that the Lord has given to prepared for me in heaven because I have accepted Jesus. We talked about what that means and she asked many questions. After we finished she said, "can I ask Jesus to live in my heart?" Of course sweet child!!!!!!!!!!! I led her in the sinners prayer and she said every word with reverence and understanding. It was a moment that was so beautiful.
As soon as we got finished she asked if she could call her father. I knew how happy he would be to hear from her and agreed whole heartedly! She got on the phone and what came out of her mouth next nearly sent me to the floor. She said, "daddy, I asked Jesus to live in my heart." (much rejoicing over the phone by him ...) and then she said, "now you need to ask Him to live in your heart too, repeat after me ..." OH MY! This child was already evangelizing and had only been saved for 5 minutes ... I ask dear friends, what is our excuse :)
So now April 27th has a new joy and that joy will definitely far outweigh the loss I feel on that day. The granddaughter that my grandma did not get to meet on this earth will be spending an eternity in heaven with her! So in our Memorial Box we will now keep a little cut out of a box of Rice Chex cereal to remember the day that Claire asked Jesus in her heart and He gave to her the miracle of eternal life in heaven with Him.
Head on over to Linny's blog at A Place Called Simplicity and see all the other Memorial Box Monday posts ;)




4 comments:
Yeah Claire! What a beautiful blessing through the tears of this day! It is always amazing how much those little details (like a date) mean so much to our Lord!! Blessings my dear friend!!
So sweet Lisa, and what a privilege!
Oh Lisa! I am in tears! What a gift! What an amazing example Claire is! What a precious thing that the Lord orchestrated it to be on that special day!!!!
Thank you SO much for sharing!
Shannon
www.throwingourarmsopenwide.blogspot.com
What a precious post, Lisa! I loved reading about your grandmother. I had a special one too and I believe with all that I am, she made me who I am today because she loved me for just me. I am rejoicing with you over Claire! SCC's song Speechless is playing in my head...."Oh, how great is the love the father has lavished upon us...that we should be called the sons and daughters of God!" I am speechless =)
Post a Comment